Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Field Guide to Mesozoic Birds: Now Available!

As you can see by the little ad over to the right of this post, my book on Mesozoic birds is now available in print and eBook/PDF formats! The book should be available in paperback from Amazon US and UK soon, and international distribution will follow soon after. For now, the paperback version can be purchased directly from CreateSpace and the pdf version from Lulu. Additional info and previews can be found here.

As I discussed in my last post about the book, this field guide style summary of our knowledge of Mesozoic winged dinosaurs covers over 150 species and includes appendices on all known species as well as a revised classification and clade definitions.

The Guide has been over two years in the making, so it's definitely nice to finally see it put together in its finished form! I'm pretty happy with the way the paperback came out, and I hope others will be able to get some use out of the anatomical guides and some enjoyment out of the life restorations. My primary goal with this book was to inspire people to see prehistoric birds as more than generic-looking set dressing for larger, more charismatic dinosaurs, and I have to say that it's pretty novel to have all well-known Mesozoic birds portrayed side by side. I hope this effort will help drive home just how diverse and varied in appearance these fascinating animals were!

If you enjoy the book, I hope you'll help spread the word by sharing the links on Facebook, G+, and Twitter, and feel free to let me know what you think by writing reviews!

11 comments:

  1. "Pan Aves" publishing? You've gone far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Fantastic... wrote about it on drip.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I hope there is a way to get it in Europe around this month, this is something I need in printed format! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now we have a field guide to Mesozoic birds along the lines of Greg Paul's dino field guide. I can't wait to get a copy of this book from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I'll be posting here when it's available from Amazon etc., so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is already linked in places where you're likely to see it, but I put up a review.

    Think you'll ever finish up that Yixian field guide as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review Albertonykus! Can't believe that Cryptovolans thing managed to slip past every read through of the book. I'll chalk it up to a very late stage rearrangemt of the Microraptorians. Hesperonychus was originally where Crypto is now, but I decided that it was too speculative to include about the same time I was reviewing Senters new opinion on Microraptorians diversity, so I essentially swapped them out but apparently neglected to add Hesper to the appendix. Something to correct in a future edition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bought a copy of this for one of my college professors as a holiday gift. It's so beautiful I'll be buying another for myself! I look forward to reading it front to back, and I'm sure he will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My copy arrived yesterday; gleefully devoured it at work last night. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it's a bit weird that I'm actually writing this comment after 7 months since your pubblication, but I really have to say that your book is incredibly good. This field guide of yours and the recent pterosaur book by Witton are probably two of the most satisfying paleontological works I've read from 5 or 6 years.
    Well then, congrats again and a big "bravo" to you, mr. Martyniuk.

    Ps: I bought it the week after it was published and I wanted to review it on my blog so badly, but some problems got in the way. Finally I wrote that damn 'review' and I would be honoured if you have some interest in reading it. You can find it here (it's in italian, but there's a translate option on the top of the right sidebar): http://ktboundary-smnt2000.blogspot.it/2013/07/a-field-guide-to-mesozoic-birds-and.html
    Thanks a lot for your patience

    ReplyDelete